Millions of young people dream of studying in Australia for various reasons. Studying in this country completely transforms life, as it is a fantastic place with unbeatable conditions for learning.
Australia is a country that has absolutely everything, being a place full of nature and exuberant landscapes that make this destination even more attractive. The best thing is that education in Australia is of a very high level, displaying a very varied and interesting academic offer. You can even study in Australia and work at the same time.
There are very few destinations where you can have such a complete experience studying with the best, with facilities to work, the possibility of paying your expenses and discovering natural spaces as beautiful as those of Australia.
If studying in Australia seems like an irresistible proposal, you can now prepare to fall in love even more. This time, we will show you everything you need to study in Australia. So, grab a pen and paper and discover the courses you can take, the requirements you need, and other surprises.
The 7 most important reasons to Study in Australia
Why study in Australia? It is a frequent question in those young people who wish to study in this country. The reality is that Australia has many good things you will not find in other countries. Year after year, it is usually in the top 3 countries international students prefer. And there are several important reasons to study in the country of koalas, the most important being the following…
You will improve your English.
One of the great advantages of studying in Australia is that you will live a linguistic immersion from day 1. And you will have to function in a place where the official language is English, so this situation will make you put your batteries together.
A first-class educational system
Studying in Australia is synonymous with an educational system ranked among the 10 best in the world. According to the prestigious Ranking of National Higher Education Systems, Australia remains in the top 10 most interesting destinations to study.
Possibility to work while studying in Australia
One of the main reasons why you should consider studying in Australia is that in this country, you can work while you study. It is easy to find a part-time job in Australia and combine it with your studies without much hassle. The best thing is that young students’ job opportunities are varied and well-paid.
You will know the best beaches on the planet.
Australia is synonymous with beautiful beaches. It is not a saying since this country is usually among the first positions of the Top Best Beaches of the World of TripAdvisor.
Australian beaches are very well positioned in the famous ranking, with Whitehaven Beach being one of the best and most valued in this famous ranking. So besides studying, you can set aside a weekend to enjoy the most beautiful beaches on the planet.
You will discover beautiful landscapes.
Australian beaches are not the only natural beauty of this country. Throughout the Australian territory, you will find tropical jungles, deserts, charming towns, exotic animals, metropolises, and incredible beaches. It is a country with unique natural beauty, where you will be amazed by the variety of landscapes you contemplate.
Undoubtedly, one of the great reasons for studying in Australia is that it is an experience that will enhance your personal growth. What you will experience in this country is so fascinating that when you return, you will be a better person, with more and better qualities.
Thousands of students witness his transformation by living the experience of studying in Australia for a while. Most students state that this personal growth is due to knowing an endless number of people from different parts of the planet and the great variety of cultures in each city. This cultural variety makes it possible to open our minds, generate an internal transformation, and develop qualities such as empathy, tolerance, persistence, and much more.
Australia is one of the best countries in the world.
One of the most important reasons for studying in Australia is that this country is usually in the top 5 best countries in the world, according to rankings as important as the US News Ranking. When making this list, factors such as job stability, gender equality, educational system, inclusion policies, health system, and quality of life are considered. Studying in Australia in such formidable conditions makes this destination so attractive.
Now, since you know some of the most important reasons to study in Australia, you may wonder: what are the requirements to study in Australia?
Requirements to study in Australia
Now that you know the main reasons you study in Australia, it is time to check if you have the requirements to study there. Consider that these requirements may vary depending on your age and nationality. However, there are common and general requirements to be able to study in Australian territory. The following applies to almost any nationality.
- Be over 16 years old. If you want to work, be over 18 years of age.
- Have a good level of the English language. However, it is not exclusive to be able to study in the country. That is, you can study in Australia even if you have a basic level of English.
- Valid passport.
- You must present the respective biometric exams. In the same way, if you have previously traveled to a tropical country, it will require some specific medical tests.
- Being able to demonstrate that you have enough funds to support yourself during your stay in the country and buy the return ticket to your home.
- Enroll in an Australian school to take an English course, technical-level program or university degree. In this sense, you must know that this registration must be done before applying for the visa.
- Have an approved student visa. The next section will give more information about the student visa. But for now, you should know that a visa is necessary to study in Australia.
- A student health insurance. Health insurance is another of the requirements to study in Australia, so you must process it for the duration of your stay.
- In Australia, you can take VET, TAFE, Master, or University courses. Depending on the course you want to take, you must present certificates of previous studies to be accepted.
- Writing the GTE… The GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) is nothing more than a letter in which you explain why you want to study in Australia.
In general, these are the only requirements that you need to study in Australia. However, there are some requirements that you must consider to study in this country, such as the case of the study visa. Actually, in Australia, there are more than 200 types of visas, and as usual, it is easy to get confused with so much documentation.
So that this does not happen to you, we want to delve into which visas to study in Australia you can apply for and their differences.
Types of Visa to Study in Australia
As we have mentioned, there are various types of visas in Australia. However, for international students, the visa is limited to only one type of category that groups them: Student Visa Subclass. So pay attention to the different types of student visas to live this learning experience in the country.
- The Visitor visa (subclass 600), is a student visa that is designed so that you can travel to the country for up to 12 months. However, the great advantage of this visa is that you can study for a maximum of three months. Some additional features of the Visitor visa are the following…
- The Visitor visa’s main objective is for you to get to know and enjoy Australian culture to the fullest. Therefore, if the main purpose is to study, it is better to apply for a student visa that is aimed at this specific purpose.
- It is a perfect type of visa for taking short courses. So with this visa, you can study intensive and highly immersive English for three months.
With this Australian visa, you cannot work in the country. The cost of the visa is 365 AUD (Australian dollars).
The student visa (subclass 500) is a specifically designed document so that you can study and work in Australia part-time. You must apply for a student visa for Australia par excellence to study in Australia. One of the main advantages is that it has a duration of stay of up to 5 years. Other characteristics of the student visa are the following…
- The student visa (subclass 500), is a document designed so that you can take a VET course, better known as vocational courses. It is also indicated for university or postgraduate studies.
- The student visa will not only allow you to study in Australia, but you will also be able to work up to 20 hours a week, and during the vacation period, you will be able to work 40 hours a week.
- Your partner and your children can travel with a student visa. The cost of this visa is 620 AUD.
Work & Holiday Visa
The Work & Holiday (subclass 462) is one of the most requested visas to study in Australia. There are several reasons why this type of visa is so in demand. The most important reasons for applying for this visa are the following.
- With Work & Holiday, you can study, travel and work in the country for a maximum of one year.
- It is a visa that will allow you to take courses of up to four months.
- To apply for the Work & Holiday visa, you must be between 18 and 30.
- It is not a visa available to all nationalities. The Work & Holiday is only available for Spain, Peru, Uruguay, Ecuador, Chile, and Argentina.
- You can renew a visa to maintain your stay in Australia for another year. The cost of this visa is 485 AUD.
Steps to study in Australia
Now that you know the requirements to study in Australia, it is time to take steps to see your dream come true. For this, following at least 4 steps to build your life project in Australia is essential.
Step 1. Choose your course.
Before embarking on your trip to Australia, you must be very clear about what you want to study and in which city in Australia you want to do it. So the first step is to choose what you want to study in this country.
In this sense, you have a wide range of options, with the possibility of studying English, taking vocational courses, and even starting a university degree from scratch or doing a master’s degree.
Since you are clear about what you want to study, you must pay for the program. The payment will depend on the type of course and the institution in which you will conduct your studies. But in all institutions, paying all or a percentage of the program’s cost is necessary. When making your payment, the COE will be issued, confirming your enrollment, an essential requirement to apply for your student visa.
Step 2. Administrative procedures.
Once you are clear about what you will study and have registered for the course at the institution, it is time to start the administrative procedures. Enrollment in the course must go hand in hand with the procedures so that you can move forward in your process to study in Australia.
You will have to carry out several administrative procedures, including the payment of the health insurance called OSHC ( Overseas Student Health Cover ). Insurance is intended to cover health expenses if any eventuality arises during your stay in Australia.
On the other hand, you must write your letter of intent to the Immigration Department. In this letter, you must explain your reasons for studying in Australia, explain how this will affect your professional improvement, and explain your plans once you have finished your studies.
As an additional tip related to the letter of intent, it is key that you emphasize that you have plans to return home with no intention of staying in the country. In the said letter, you must present the documents that justify the letter of intent, such as a copy of your degree diploma, labor certificate, or any other document that reaffirms your application.
Finally, you must present proof of economic solvency to the immigration department during your stay to study in Australia. Also, you must carry out your medical examinations to verify your health before making your trip. You must have your complete Covid-19 vaccination scheme.
You must start these procedures as soon as possible so that you have everything in order and can study in Australia.
Step 3. Apply for your visa.
The next step is to select the type of visa to study in Australia and process it as soon as possible. Depending on the type of visa you select, you can stay studying in the country from 3 months to 5 years.
Step 4. Buy your plane ticket.
Finally, once you have approved the visa and completed the aforementioned procedures, you only have to buy your plane ticket to the Australian city where you will study. For a while, that city will become your new home.